VMware, Inc., the global leader in virtualization solutions from the desktop through the datacenter and to the cloud, today announced that VMware Fusion® 3 is now available. With more than 50 new features, VMware Fusion 3 makes it easier than ever to run Windows applications with Mac simplicity.
With the new built-in Migration Assistant for Windows, VMware Fusion 3 is more than two times faster than other "Switch to Mac" solutions. Users can move their entire PCs -- including applications, files documents, and settings -- to their Macs with a simple Ethernet cable, a FireWire cable, or even wirelessly.
VMware Fusion 3 includes more than 50 new features and enhancements, delivering a better-than-ever Windows on Mac experience. Key highlights include:
- Performance, Finely Tuned. Support for 4-way SMP to maximize performance on the latest iMac and Mac Pro. Lower overhead and up to 2X faster resume time for a suspended virtual machine.
- More Mac-Like Than Ever. Banish the start menu and launch Windows apps from the new "always-on" applications menu, even when VMware Fusion isn't running. VMware Fusion provides convenient new ways to experience Windows applications like Mac applications.
- Optimized for Snow Leopard. Built from the ground up for the Mac, VMware Fusion 3 leverages Mac OS X Snow Leopard's advanced architecture with a new 64-bit core engine and native support for the 64-bit kernel, delivering even better Windows on Mac performance.
- Ultimate Windows 7 Experience. VMware Fusion 3 will be the first to enable the full Windows 7 experience, side-by-side with your Mac, complete with Windows Aero and Flip 3D.
- Best-in-Class 3D Graphics. Support for OpenGL 2.1 and DirectX 9.0c Shader Model 3 will enable users to run their favorite 3D Windows games and applications -- all without rebooting.
The release of VMware Fusion 3 has been widely anticipated. With more than 10,000 private beta users who have helped shape the features in the product, the VMware Fusion community is eager to upgrade to VMware Fusion 3.
"VMware Fusion gives us the best of both worlds," said Shandor Simon, director of networking services for Latin School of Chicago. "Our students, faculty and staff get easy access to the Windows-based apps they need with just a few mouse clicks. VMware Fusion proven technology made it easy to migrate our remaining Windows users to the Mac, while providing a safer, more reliable environment for our remaining Windows-based applications."
"With VMware Fusion, I have a rock stable UNIX base with the ability to run any operating system I may need, allowing me to take my complete test environment on the road," said Wil van Antwerpen, owner of Antwise Solutions, a software development company. "Now I can reproduce customer issues on alternative OSes, even when I don't have a direct internet connection to my lab. VMware Fusion 3 improves on this further by bringing Aero support for Windows onto your Mac with amazing hardware accelerated performance."
"I am a Mac devotee, but most of my clients are Windows users," said Donald Malm, who runs a consulting service. "The ease in switching between my files and my client's files when I am in Unity mode in VMware Fusion is exceptional. It allows me to stay dedicated to the Mac experience, but meet my customers' needs along the way."
"I am not a virtualization guru, in fact, I know very little about how it all works, but as an early VMware Fusion 3 user, I don't need to -- it just works," said Dale Puckett, director of operations, Brainworks Software. "At work I use a Dell laptop running 64-bit Windows 7. At night and on the weekends, VMware Fusion 3 makes it possible for me to continue my development using my iMac running Windows 7 side-by-side with Snow Leopard. And as a Microsoft developer, support for features like Windows Aero makes all the difference in the world. "
Availability and Pricing
VMware Fusion 3 is now available at the VMware online store and at authorized United States retailers for a suggested retail price of $79.99 and will be available at authorized worldwide retail locations beginning November 4.
Upgrades from previous versions of VMware Fusion to VMware Fusion 3 are now available for $39.99 at vmware.com/go/buyfusion.