Juniper Networks today announced several new data center networking and security solutions that enable enterprises and service providers to simplify their network infrastructures, while sharing and securing their networks to deliver cloud services at massive scale.
The new “Cloud-Ready Data Center” initiative expands Juniper’s previous simplification solutions to help customers share and secure their data center networks. The initiative features five practical, step-by-step solution modules with implementation guides and best practices to help customers build cloud-ready data centers. Modules include solution designs for securing traffic flows between servers within the cloud-ready data center, securing traffic flows between virtual machines in the cloud-ready data center, and securing traffic flows between mobile clients and the cloud-ready data center. The modules also include solution designs for integrating user and application identity into cloud-ready data center policies, and stretching virtual LANs within and across data centers using standards-based virtual private LAN service (VPLS).
The new solutions are made possible through the Dynamic Services Architecture in Juniper’s SRX Series Service Gateways, which can now scale to support 10 million concurrent user sessions – 2.5 times more than Juniper’s previous generation and five times more than the top competitori. Juniper’s upgraded SRX5000 line also provides fast throughput for cloud security, delivering up to six times faster firewall and seven times faster intrusion prevention servicesii, with 50 percent power savings and 67 percent space savings over the top competitor for comparable throughputiii.
“Data centers, networking and security all play a vital role in delivery of cloud services, which require more speed and scale than ever before,” said Mark Bauhaus, Juniper’s executive VP and general manager of Service Layer Technologies. “We know there’s a lot of cloud hype out there, and we’ve seen many customers struggle to get their arms around the opportunities and pitfalls. Our new solution modules are designed to give customers a step-by-step approach to get started, remove the roadblocks and build the right foundation, so they can start to manage exponential traffic growth, virtualize their resources and secure services at massive scale.”
In support of the new solutions, Juniper announced several new products for securing cloud services and delivering “cloud-enabled security” based on the Junos® software platform:
- Virtualized Security Services: New enhancements to the industry’s most scalable set of security services, available on Juniper’s SRX Series, that provide application-aware and identity-aware policy enforcement for cloud services:
- AppSecure: A new suite of tools designed to provide visibility and control over access to applications running in cloud-ready data centers, including an AppDOS service that protects cloud users from the growing threat of botnet-based denial-of-service attacks;
- Coordinated Threat Control: Integrates user identity and knowledge of the application into security policies, enabling more granular control over application flows in the cloud;
- Virtual Server Security: Sets policies across virtual and physical machines across the network, through a partnership with Altor Networks, whose product integrates with Juniper’s SRX Series, Juniper’s Network and Security Manager (NSM) and Juniper’s Security Threat Response Manager (STRM);
- More Sessions: Support for 10 million concurrent sessions on the SRX 5800 – 2.5 times more than last year;
- Doubling Density: Double the 10GbE density and connection capacity; and
- In-Service Software Upgrades: Easy upgrades that minimize downtime of cloud infrastructure and enhance reliability of cloud services.
- Virtual Desktop Infrastructure: New support for Citrix and VMware VDI, available on Juniper’s SA Series Appliances, providing cloud users with seamless single-sign-on access to virtual desktops via SSL VPN.
- MX 3D routers with 3D Scaling: New products that will deliver two to four times the capacity of competitorsiv while enabling dynamic control, open application platforms and revolutionary economics for delivering cloud services at massive scale.
- Junos Space network application platform: New software that enables developers to simplify network operations, automate support and accelerate service delivery.
- Junos Pulse integrated network client: New unified client that will provide location-aware, identity-aware and device-verified access to cloud services, mitigating security threats and improving the user experience on PCs and mobile phones.
“Comprehensive network security is a fundamental requirement for both public and private cloud computing,” said Jon Oltsik, principal analyst at Enterprise Strategy Group. “To unleash the power of the cloud, large organizations need a rich, flexible, and elastic set of network security services delivered at scale. Given Juniper’s performance and security strengths, the company is well positioned to help accelerate the transformation and unleash the potential of cloud computing.”
Today’s new products and solutions will help customers build cloud-ready data centers that position them to take advantage of Juniper’s previously disclosed Stratus Project to simplify data center architectures. Through Stratus, Juniper is developing a single data center fabric that will yield a quantum leap in scale, performance and simplicity for data center networks, with the flexibility to support fully converged and virtualized data center environments. Stratus will pave the way to large consolidated data centers that harness “one logical switch” to dynamically allocate any network resource, including routing and security services, storage, servers and other appliances.