SpringSource, a division of VMware, Inc. and the leader in Java application infrastructure and management, today introduced SpringSource tc Server Spring Edition, the best place to build and run Spring applications. tc Server Spring Edition provides a lightweight platform for running modern applications and is ideally-suited for the virtualized datacenter as well as private and public cloud environments. The tc Server Spring Edition bridges the divide between development teams and IT operations by equipping them with tools to manage the health, performance and quality of their Spring applications.
As part of the introduction of SpringSource tc Server Spring Edition, VMware is unveiling the “Spring on VMware” Promotion whereby licenses of tc Server are offered at no additional cost for a limited time with the sale of qualifying VMware products. The promotion marks the first time that SpringSource solutions are available from VMware channel partners.
Based on the popular Apache Tomcat server, tc Server Spring Edition delivers new levels of developer productivity, operational control and deployment flexibility for customers building and deploying Spring applications. By providing developers and operators with top-down insight into the performance and health of their Spring applications, customers can reduce the time it takes to deliver new applications to meet their business goals. Additionally, the lightweight footprint of tc Server helps ensure optimal resource utilization across virtual and cloud environments.
“Not only is tc Server Spring Edition the best place to run Spring apps but it is ideally architected for next-generation datacenter technologies,” said Shaun Connolly, vice president of product management for the SpringSource division of VMware. “Our customers have proven that to deploy applications properly in virtual environments, the application server must require a very small footprint. In this way, tc Server Spring Edition is ideal for virtual deployments which are the onramp to cloud computing.”
This new lightweight edition of tc Server makes it easy for customers currently running Spring applications on Java EE servers to migrate to tc Server Spring Edition. The lean architecture also allows customers running on Tomcat servers who want enterprise features and customer support to migrate to tc Server Spring Edition. The approach provided by tc Server is a foundation for a streamlined application lifecycle fitted to the evolving datacenter. The solution is part of SpringSource’s product line, which provides modern offerings for building, running and managing Java applications.
SpringSource’s approach is championed by many independent perspectives. As a September 2009 report by Forrester Research Inc., titled, “Lean, the New Business Technology Imperative,” states: “Don’t buy and install more stuff than you need. When you evaluate software for any given project, make brevity and compactness a consideration. Too many clients spend far too much time and effort trying to find the products with the most features. Lean shops look for just enough, no more1.”
“Without tc Server, I could not have deployed my web-based applications into the internal private cloud environment I created,” said Jon Brisbin, portal webmaster for NPC International. “Other solutions, including the previous application server I was using, are too process-heavy. SpringSource tc Server’s small footprint allows me to deploy a dozen app server instances on one physical box virtualized by VMware software, with plenty of capacity left over.”
Key Features of tc Server Spring Edition
SpringSource tc Server Spring Edition harmonizes the application lifecycle by providing a modern platform that delivers new levels of developer efficiency, operational control and deployment flexibility.
Developer Efficiency: Increase productivity and decrease time to deliver applications from hours to minutes with the following features:
- Deep visibility into the health and performance of Spring applications
- Enhanced build and deploy process through integration with Maven
- Agile Spring development experience with SpringSource Tool Suite designed to speed the code / test cycle and ability to find underperforming areas of your applications
Operational Control: Help ensure Spring applications meet business goals with the following features:
- Performance and SLA management of Spring applications provides the top-down insight required to help ensure applications are operating as expected
- Rich alert definition, workflows and flexible control actions enable application operators to proactively manage application issues
- Group availability and event dashboards make it easy to see the problem areas and possible root causes of issues
Deployment Flexibility: Future-proof applications by leveraging an agile platform that addresses needs from developer to datacenter to cloud with the following features:
- Template-driven server instance creation enables multiple application server instances per machine to be configured and deployed in a matter of seconds
- Integrated experience with VMware Workstation and VMware Lab Manager enables applications to be easily deployed and debugged within encapsulated virtualized environments
- Open, secure API for all operations ensures system administrators have access to the operational capabilities they need using the scripting tools they are familiar with
SpringSource tc Server Offerings and Availability
SpringSource tc Server 2.0 will be generally available in early April 2010 and offered at list price in the following three packages:
- Spring Edition – Starts at $750 per CPU
- Standard Edition – Starts at $500 per CPU
- Developer Edition – Free to download standalone or as part of SpringSource Tool Suite
“Spring on VMware” Special Promotion
Under the “Spring on VMware” Promotion, all customer orders fulfilled between March 8, 2010 and May 8, 2010 that include products (license only) from VMware vSphere™, the VMware vCenter™ family of products, VMware View™ or VMware ThinApp™ will receive 2 CPU licenses of tc Server Spring Edition and 60 days of evaluation support (collectively referred to as the “Spring on VMware Bundle”). For more information on VMware’s promotion visit: www.vmware.com/go/tcserver-promotion.
Upcoming tc Server Webinar
For further information on tc Server Spring Edition and the special VMware promotion, SpringSource will host a webinar titled, “SpringSource tc Server: The Best Place to Build and Run Spring Applications,” on March 23, 2010.
To register for the webinar click on one of the following links: