Today at the Interop 2010 conference in Las Vegas, Citrix Systems, Inc. unveiled its new Citrix® NetScaler® 9.2 release along with three powerful new NetScaler MPX™ hardware appliances (see "Citrix Launches First Networking System to Harness All the Power of New Intel Xeon Processor 5680 Series”) and a new high-performance NetScaler VPX™ virtual appliance (see Citrix Breaks Virtual Appliance Performance Barrier, Unleashes Cloud Scalability in the Datacenter). Unlike traditional networking solutions that rely on expensive and inflexible hardware, the new NetScaler systems feature innovative “Pay-as-You-Grow” pricing that enables on-demand capacity scaling without forklift upgrades. To meet burgeoning needs of enterprise shared services and cloud deployments, NetScaler 9.2 uniquely offers flex tenancy that blends the best of shared and consolidated infrastructure while not burdening users with the complexity of multi-tenant management. Additionally, the new release provides the flexibility of dynamic virtual appliances, driving true elasticity in the network as services that can now be spun up and spun down on-the-fly as needed. As a result, customers can move away from the fixed cost, fixed performance of traditional datacenter models and replace them with flexible, utility-based economics and elasticity of the cloud.
The new NetScaler release is supported by a range of new MPX and VPX appliance options, giving customers unprecedented flexibility without all the complexity of traditional networking systems. It also features a wide range of exciting new capabilities perfectly suited to the modern datacenter, including enhanced video and multimedia optimization, rich graphical datacenter views and enhanced web and cloud security functionality.
Key Facts and Highlights
NetScaler delivers the simplicity and scalability of cloud computing to the enterprise datacenter.
- Delivers Cloud Economics and Scale – New NetScaler software enables 4X faster IPv6 performance to support rapid growth in IPv6 networks and traffic. In addition, cloud networks can consolidate hardware infrastructure and drive greater scale by supporting up to 7X more policies on a single NetScaler platform.
- Optimizes delivery of Video, Web 2.0 and Multimedia – NetScaler 9.2 optimizes video delivery with the introduction of the industry’s first 64-bit shared-memory cache that can provide up to 24GB of memory cache capacity on high-end MPX platforms for caching large video files at the service provider edge, or to offload back end servers. Delivery of Web 2.0 apps are optimized with new Fast XML XPath support, which provides deep XML payload inspection and enables high-performance business logic routing.
- Shows a Rich Graphical View of Your Network – New AppExpert Network and GSLB Visualizers make it easy to quickly zero in on configuration issues and analyze traffic behavior via a graphical, 360o view of the application delivery infrastructure. New Active-Active and GSLB Spillover capabilities further automate this process by providing greater high-availability and optimized resource utilization across private and public clouds.
- Drives Next Generation Flex-Tenancy – The flex-tenancy architecture of NetScaler extends multi-tenancy from the network edge to the application tier by combining both physical and virtual appliances. New network-aware policies and policy-based routing provide the underlying technology to provide shared services across multiple tenants.
- Raises the Bar on Web and Cloud Security – NetScaler 9.2 provides unprecedented scale of protection against ever increasing DDoS and DNS attacks, and delivers the industry’s first 12 Gbps application firewall. In addition to higher performance, NetScaler 9.2 provides web services and XML security protections, including cross-site request forgery, XML attachment checks, entity expansion attacks, SOAP fault filtering and WSDL scanning.
- Makes App-Specific Optimization Scalable – New AppExpert templates and Visualizer features simplify management, migration, monitoring and synchronization of application delivery policies across multiple tiers. Templates from running configurations can be created for easy import/export into test and development environments by abstracting management complexity and allowing creation of environment-specific configurations.
Pricing and Availability
Citrix NetScaler 9.2 is available now for download via http://www.citrix.com and is available at no additional charge to existing customers with a current maintenance contract. NetScaler MPX 17500, MPX 19500 and MPX 21500 appliances are available now through Citrix Solution Advisors worldwide. Pricing begins at $140,000. The new 3 Gbps high-speed NetScaler VPX virtual appliance software will be available later in Q2 2010.