Microsoft announced the beta release of the Virtual Machine Servicing Tool v3.0.
If you’ve used version 2.1, you know that it offers free, tested guidance and automated tools that let you safely service offline virtual machines in your SCVMM library. VMST 3.0 builds on this functionality, adding powerful new features designed to streamline the process of keeping your offline virtual machines, templates and VHDs up-to-date with the latest operating system and application updates, without introducing vulnerabilities into your IT infrastructure. VMST 3.0 helps you effectively manage the workflow of updating your offline virtual machines according to their individual needs. Using VMST 3.0, customers can also keep users productive during updates and maintenance of physical hosts: VMST 3.0 now automates the servicing of Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V host clusters, leveraging live migration.
Using new features in VMST 3.0, customers can now service:
- Offline virtual machines in a SCVMM library
- Stopped and saved state virtual machines on a host
- Virtual machine templates
- Offline virtual hard disks in a SCVMM library by injecting update packages
- Windows Server 2008 R2 failover clusters running Hyper-V
You can access the Beta Program download on Connect here.