VMware, the global leader in virtualization solutions from the desktop through the datacenter and to the cloud, today announced the worldwide availability of VMware Fusion 3.1 -- the best way to run Windows on the Mac -- as a free update to all VMware Fusion 3 users.
"We're excited to deliver the fastest and most reliable Windows on Mac experience available with VMware Fusion 3.1," said Pat Lee, director, personal desktop products VMware. "While we continued to deliver rock-solid reliability and ease of use with VMware Fusion 3, customers asked for even better graphics performance and more speed for their Windows applications. With VMware Fusion 3.1, we incorporated their feedback to deliver significant performance gains without disrupting the reliability they've come to expect from VMware."
With more than 20 new features, key highlights of VMware Fusion 3.1 include:
- Faster: With faster application launching, more seamless scrolling, quicker resume from suspend, and better overall disk performance, VMware Fusion 3.1 delivers 35% better end-to-end performance compared to its predecessor, VMware Fusion 3.0.
- Better 3D Graphics Performance: Greatly improved Windows Aero performance and OpenGL 2.1 support for Windows Vista and Windows 7 delivers up to 5X better 3D graphics performance. VMware Fusion 3.1 is also supported and recommended by Autodesk for AutoCAD 2011.
- Switch to Mac with Ease: The fastest and least expensive way to bring a customer's entire PC to a Mac, VMware Fusion 3.1 includes all of the software tools needed to migrate over a standard Ethernet cable, FireWire cable or even wireless network -- saving customers from purchasing special cables that will only be used once.
- USB EasyConnect: Makes it easier than ever to assign a USB device to a virtual machine or a Mac and remembers preferred choice.
- Unity: Exclusive support for Mac OS X Snow Leopard's Dock Expose makes it even more seamless to use Windows apps like Mac apps.
- Support for Larger Virtual Machines: With added support for 8-way SMP and an increased virtual hard disk size from 950 GB to 2TB, advanced users get more power and punch out of the Mac Pro and Xserve from Apple.
"VMware Fusion 3.1 has made my Windows PC obsolete. With VMware Fusion 3.1, it's faster to start and use Windows on my MacBook Pro than it is to use my physical PC," said Tony Arnold, Founder of The Cocoabots. "The great leap in graphics performance makes Windows Aero sing, allowing me to play games I could never play before on my MacBook Pro."
Availability and Pricing: VMware Fusion 3 users can automatically download the free update to VMware Fusion 3.1 via the built-in software update feature. Users who wish to upgrade from previous versions of VMware Fusion may do so online at vmware.com/fusion for $39.99 (USD). For new users, VMware Fusion is available at vmware.com/fusion, the Apple Online Store(R) (apple.com), Apple retail stores, Amazon.com, and other authorized resellers. The suggested retail price of $79.99 (USD) includes all of the software needed to switch from a PC to a Mac.