The VMware OVF Tool is a command-line utility that allows you to import and export OVF packages to and from a wide variety of VMware platform products. OVF Tool 2.0.1 supports OVF version 1.0 and is backward compatible with OVF 0.9.
This is the first major release since the initial release of OVF Tool 1.0 and a minor upgrade to the OVF Tool 2.0 version that is bundled with Fusion 3.1 and Workstation 7.1. You can download the OVF Tool for Windows 32-bit and 64-bit, Linux 32-bit and 64-bit, and now Mac OS X.
There have been a few bug and feature fixes since version 2.0.0.
- Fixed bug that caused OVF Tool not to work with the "Import from vSphere" feature on the VMware Virtual Appliance Marketplace.
- Fixed launch issue on Linux/Mac if installed in a location where the path includes spaces.
- Fixed issue with properties when importing to vApprun workspace.
Changes made since version 1.0.1:
- Support for the OVF 1.1 specification.
- Support for OVF packages that includes ISO and floppy images.
- Support for vApprun as target and source. (see http://labs.vmware.com/flings/vapprun)
- Support for OVF Tool on the Mac OS X operating system (Intel-only).
- A lax mode (--lax) that enables a best-effort conversion of OVF packages which do not fully conform to the OVF standard or include virtual hardware that is not supported by the destination. For example, VirtualBox (version 3.0 and 3.1) produced OVF packages can be converted in lax mode.
- Bug fix for handling vmxnet3 targets.
For more information, you can download the OVF Tool user guide as well.