Last month, the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) held its second workshop as part of a Cloud Computing Program to speed the adoption of cloud computing while ensuring best practices and standards for interoperability, portability and security. NIST is joined by other industry stakeholders, including IEEE, SNIA and the Open Grid Forum, in developing a cloud computing roadmap, as well as interim cloud computing specifications and guidelines.
As public cloud storage becomes a viable data storage alternative for IT departments, it raises significant issues for business information owners seeking guidance on appropriate cloud-based standards to address security, privacy, risk and ethical concerns.
With Simpana® 9 software, CommVault is well positioned to help its customers address compliance and information retention as they adopt cloud computing while enabling them to better meet strategic requirements for eDiscovery, archiving and risk management.
By meeting the current emerging standards for cloud governance, as well as compliance with certain specific industry regulations for information access and retention, CommVault software supports Governance, Risk and Compliance (GRC)-enabled cloud models to help businesses comply not only with current regulations but also anticipate future ones.
With Simpana software, businesses can take advantage of cloud storage integration functionality while its unified governance capabilities are designed to reduce the time, costs and risks of managing enterprise data across physical, virtual and cloud computing environments.
CommVault Facilitates Cloud Governance & Addresses Legal & Regulatory Requirements
- Simpana 9 software is designed to improve the collaboration, access and retention of cloud information for legal and regulatory requirements by consolidating data access and management through a single platform and centralized point of control.
- CommVault's Retention Lifecycle Management (RLM) capabilities enable customers to reduce risk by better aligning retention and classification of information records within countries and geographical areas irrespective of cloud provider, so records control, audit and access is retained by the organization, not the cloud provider.
- With Simpana 9's enterprise information dashboard, customers can access any information object regardless of cloud provider; federated search technology allows full recovery of authenticated data across both simple and multi-country /geo environments.
- Intuitive eDiscovery and compliance workflow helps legal teams decrease the cost and complexity of responding to eDiscovery and corporate governance requests by efficiently moving data between users and physical, virtual and cloud environments to expedite record review, classification and supervision.
- CommVault will discuss key considerations surrounding cloud storage and GRC at the upcoming Annual LegalTech Conference, taking place Jan. 31 – Feb. 2 at the New York Hilton, New York City. CommVault's Shannon Smith, Esq., information governance specialist, will moderate a panel entitled "Understanding and Reducing the Risks of Cloud Technology," on Tuesday, Feb. 1st.
"The ripple effect of cloud computing adoption will be felt across all organizations as increased movement of structured and unstructured data will require tighter controls and standards to ensure privacy, integrity and security," says Simon Taylor, CommVault's senior director, information access management. "CommVault's unified platform will enable us to address major GRC requirements while greatly simplifying the access and management of all types of information, so our customers can meet increased legal and regulatory requirements for governance, risk management and compliance."
"Understanding and mitigating the unique risks of cloud technology is something organizations need to consider before they enter contractual relationships with a cloud computing vendor," says Shannon Smith, Esq., information governance specialist for CommVault. "Following a set of best practices and information management guidelines will make a significant difference in addressing and minimizing issues concerning security, authenticity, chain of custody, jurisdiction and contractual challenges."
CommVault® Simpana® 9 Software: http://www.commvault.com/simpana.html