Today at Citrix Synergy, the conference where mobile workstyles and cloud services meet, Citrix announced new innovations in its desktop virtualization solution with tech previews of Citrix VDI-in-a-Box and Citrix XenClient and a new release of the Citrix AppDNA software. In addition, new Citrix Ready partner products are being released at Citrix Synergy, which leverage the HDX system-on-chip architecture for low-cost and innovative form-factor devices. Citrix continues to focus on developing market-leading desktop virtualization solutions, acquiring innovative technology and teams and spearheading partner initiatives to drive down the costs of virtual desktops and speed adoption across enterprises of all sizes.
In the past 18 months, Citrix has invested in several acquisitions and industry initiatives designed to expand use cases for desktop and application virtualization to accelerate customer transformation to cloud services and enable widespread adoption by reducing virtual desktop acquisition and operational costs. Citrix has carefully fostered a culture of innovation keeping recently acquired teams intact and focused on innovation with quarterly releases of new functionality, while also taking advantage of the collective resources of Citrix to integrate features across multiple product lines.
- Simple, Affordable VDI – VDI-in-a-Box 5.2 tech preview continues to deliver simplicity and empowering SMBs and enterprise departments to roll out affordable and powerful VDI-based desktops. Building on the VDI-in-a-Box 5.1 release, which introduced personal vDisk technology, the VDI-in-a-Box 5.2 tech preview will demonstrate optimizations for Microsoft Lync, support for the latest hypervisor technologies including Microsoft Windows 2012 HyperV, Citrix XenServer® 6.1 and VMware vSphere 5.1. The tech preview will support the Citrix Storefront for unified access to any Citrix CloudGateway delivered service.
- Extending Mobile Desktop Virtualization – Coming quickly on the heels of the Virtual Computer acquisition earlier this year, the XenClient Enterprise 4.5 tech preview will be the second Citrix release of the combined XenClient hypervisor and Virtual Computer management system. XenClient extends Citrix XenDesktop® FlexCast to include the management of physical PCs and secures mobile laptops for disconnected operation. The tech preview includes support for third-generation Intel® Core™ processors, Microsoft Windows 8, and ultrabooks.
- Speeding Migration to Windows 7 and Beyond – Supporting the upcoming general availability of new Microsoft technologies, the next release of Citrix AppDNA application lifecycle management software includes early access features for application testing on Windows 8, Internet Explorer 10 and Windows Server 2012.
- Driving Down Costs with HDX System-on-Chip Architecture – After only one year since the introduction of this initiative to drive new low-cost and innovative devices based on a HDX SoC architecture, several new devices from Atrust, Centerm, Fujitsu, HP, IGEL, LG and NComputing will be on display at Citrix Synergy. The robust ecosystem of chip vendors and device manufacturers are leveraging the explosion of new consumer electronics innovation based on ARM Core chip architectures that effectively shrink the footprint of devices while lowering the cost of thin clients with comparative features by more than 50 percent.
- Existing customers and partners can download the VDI-in-a-Box 5.2 tech preview beginning October 30.
- XenClient Enterprise 4.5 tech preview is available this month for download and will be generally available in December.
- The new AppDNA 6.1 SP1 software release is available today. This new release expands the no-charge user trial to enable enterprises to import an unlimited amount of applications for application testing and modeling to determine the time, cost and risk of an OS migration or virtualization project.