VMware, Inc., the global leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure, today announced financial results for the third quarter of 2012. Also announced today, industry veteran Jonathan Chadwick will join VMware as chief financial officer (CFO) effective November 5, 2012.
- Revenues for the third quarter were $1.13 billion, an increase of 20% from the third quarter of 2011, and 22% measured in constant currency.
- Operating income for the third quarter was $190 million, an increase of 5% from the third quarter of 2011. Non-GAAP operating income for the third quarter was $365 million, an increase of 28% from the third quarter of 2011.
- Net income for the third quarter was $157 million, or $0.36 per diluted share, compared to $178 million, or $0.41 per diluted share, for the third quarter of 2011. Non-GAAP net income for the quarter was $303 million, or $0.70 per diluted share, compared to $230 million, or $0.53 per diluted share, for the third quarter of 2011.
- Trailing twelve months operating cash flows were $1.97 billion, an increase of 5% compared to the trailing twelve months ended the third quarter of 2011. Trailing twelve months free cash flows were $1.90 billion, an increase of 4% compared to the trailing twelve months ended the third quarter of 2011.
- Cash, cash equivalents and short-term investments were $4.4 billion and unearned revenue was $3.0 billion as of September 30, 2012.
U.S. revenues for the third quarter of 2012 grew 25% to $554 million from 2011. International revenues grew 16% to $580 million from 2011.
License revenues for the third quarter of 2012 were $491 million, an increase of 11% from 2011. Service revenues, which include software maintenance and professional services, were $643 million for third quarter of 2012, an increase of 29% from 2011.
“Third quarter results reinforce VMware’s leadership and momentum as cloud emerges as the de facto IT infrastructure standard,” said Pat Gelsinger, chief executive officer, VMware. “Our Software Defined Data Center platform gives customers a clear path to the cloud, and the recently announced VMware vCloud® Suite of virtualized compute, storage, networking and management capabilities demonstrates our unique ability to deliver proven solutions that speed this journey.”
“We delivered a solid quarter despite tough macroeconomic conditions,” said Carl Eschenbach, chief operating officer and co-president, VMware. “The quarter went as expected and we achieved record quarterly results for total revenue and non-GAAP operating income. Fourth quarter revenues are expected to be in the range of $1.26 and $1.29 billion. Annual 2012 revenues are expected to be in the range of $4.572 and $4.602 billion, an increase of 21.4% to 22.2% from 2011. Annual license revenues are expected to grow between 12.8% and 13.8%.”
Jonathan Chadwick Appointed Chief Financial Officer
Jonathan Chadwick, 46, brings deep industry and business leadership experience to VMware. Most recently, he served as corporate vice president of Microsoft and CFO of Skype, following roles as EVP and CFO of McAfee and in a variety of finance leadership positions in over a decade at Cisco Systems. Chadwick will be responsible for leading VMware’s global finance organization and will report to Gelsinger.
Commenting on the new addition to VMware’s executive team, Gelsinger added, “As we refine and accelerate VMware’s market and innovation strategy, we are squarely focused on delivering increasing value to our customers and shareholders. Jonathan’s tremendous talent and experience in financial controls, business operations and strategic planning will be foundational to these efforts, and we warmly welcome him to the leadership team.”
Recent Highlights & Strategic Announcements
- In late August, VMware hosted VMworld® 2012 in San Francisco. The event attracted a record 21,000 customers, partners, press and analysts, and 250 sponsors and exhibitors signifying major interest from the IT industry in cloud computing and the next generation of IT. In early October, VMware hosted VMworld Europe in Barcelona, attracting more than 8,000 attendees to the Company’s regional user conference.
- On August 27, VMware unveiled a comprehensive solution of cloud infrastructure and management products, expertise and ecosystem support to help customers drive greater efficiency and improve operational agility. At the heart of the announcement was the new VMware vCloud® Suite 5.1– the first solution to deliver the Software Defined Data Center. The vCloud suite integrates VMware’s leading virtualization, cloud infrastructure and management portfolio into a single SKU, simplifying the adoption of cloud era technologies.
- Also on August 27, VMware announced new Cloud Ops Intellectual Property (IP) and advisory, transformation and education services. Based on VMware’s experience helping hundreds of clients worldwide navigate through the complex decisions around building, running and optimizing public and private cloud environments, Cloud Ops has emerged as a new operating model where IT shifts from a reactive, tactical relationship with the business to the role of a strategic partner, helping broker critical, value-added services across an organization.
VMware plans to host a conference call today to review its third quarter 2012 results and to discuss its financial outlook. The call is scheduled to begin at 2:00 p.m. PT/ 5:00 p.m. ET and can be accessed via the Web at http://ir.vmware.com. The webcast will be available live, and a replay will be available following completion of the live broadcast for approximately 60 days.