First, I'd like to personally thank everyone for being a valued member and reader of VMblog! Once again, with the help of each of you, VMblog
has been able to remain one of the oldest and most successful
virtualization and cloud news sites on the Web -- providing readers with
valuable information in these expanding markets for the last 9 years! Wow.
2012 was another truly amazing year for our shared technology and passion -- virtualization and cloud technologies. Each
year, we've been increasing our little club of virtualization and cloud
enthusiasts and I expect 2013 to continue that trend at an increasing
In 2012, we witnessed quite a few changes! Perhaps the most obvious has been the consolidation of our market, with some of the larger companies gobbling up some of the smaller startups to gain new technology so that it can enter or expand into new markets. And unfortunately, as it happens, we saw a number of startups fold as well, unable to make it for whatever reason. But thankfully, there is never a shortage of good ideas. And so in 2013, I expect we'll see a number of new startup ventures hit the scene to amaze us and make our work lives even easier.
yourselves in, raise and lock your seat trays, and put your seats
in their upright position. And let's take off with 2013!
To help kick the year off, VMblog has
just finished wrapping up its fun and successful Executive Prediction Series. This is
the 5th year in a row for the series, and it just keeps getting better. With nearly 100 executives checking in this year, we have
predictions from some old familiar names as well as many new comers to
the series. And this year, company executives have taken on server
virtualization, application virtualization, storage virtualization,
desktop virtualization, as well as big data, networking, security, I/O
optimization, SSD, databases, public, private and hybrid clouds... and
more! Some of these executives have even opted to take a look back at
last year's predictions to see how well they did.
If you didn't have a chance to keep up with the entire series throughout the
months of November and December, now is your chance to catch up and
read what these experts have predicted. Enjoy!
- Astute Networks: Top 3 Virtualization Predictions for 2013 - Virtualization is continuing to dramatically change the economics of
many IT organizations, yet most IT organizations have still only
virtualized about 35-40% of their applications. VDI is touted by nearly
every vendor, but VDI penetration is still less than 2% of all
desktops. Why are these adopt... Read More...
- Appcore Predictions: Virtualization Trends 2013 - Virtualization is now spreading through enterprise for a variety of
mission critical workloads. In addition to the ‘virtual first' approach
that some enterprises are taking for everyday workloads, virtualization
usage is a key ingredient to making the move to a cloud operating model.
Key trends in v... Read More...
- SmartDeploy Predictions: Best Bets you can Bank on for 2013 - It is a time of great transition in IT. 2013 is going to bring to bear
some expected trends and completely throw out others in places like
cloud computing, end user computing and mobility. But it won't be a time
of great change. Rather, I predict it will be a year of models that
mature into the main... Read More...
- HighCloud Security: Three Cloud Security Predictions for 2013 - I've been working in the software security space for more than three
decades. For years, organizations invested in hardening their perimeter
to ensure data privacy. With the rapid growth of the cloud and the
emergence of software-defined networks, the idea of a ‘perimeter'
becomes almost meaningless... Read More...
- Nutanix 2013 Predictions: The End of Big Iron - For the last few weeks, the Nutanix marketing team kept nudging me to
write a blog on 2013 predictions. I kept pushing it, perhaps
subconsciously, because it would have been a royal waste if the world
really came to an end. 12/12/12 is safely behind us, and I've found my
mojo to write. Something tel... Read More...
- Rackspace: Five Cloud Predictions For 2013 - Last year, in my cloud predictions for 2012, I focused heavily on how
open source code will become the standard and how the future will be
mobile. In 2012, we at Rackspace officially launched our open cloud
effort built on OpenStack; and mobility now dominates day-to-day work
and life.... Read More...
- 2013 Cloud Computing Predictions from the CohesiveFT Team - 2013 Will Be The Year Of Federated Cloud - Joint Ventures, consortium
projects, and supply chains are all common examples of cooperation
between companies that create complex control and security issues.
Cloud computing eliminates two constraints that have limited the IT
resources available for sho... Read More...
- VMware Predictions for 2013: Expect Even More Change Ahead - Another year older... and hopefully another year wiser! As I look back
at 2012, it's amazing how much has changed in our industry. Cloud
computing continued to top CIO's lists of IT priorities, our mobile
workforce kept expanding, and companies started to realize the shift
underway towards the fully... Read More...
- Cbeyond Predictions: The Cloud - What's on the Horizon in 2013? - While it has been viewed as the next big thing in IT for a few years
now, 2012 may very well be remembered as the year the cloud finally
rolled in across the greater business landscape. What was once a
potentially confusing and highly-technical concept has become the norm,
and more businesses - reg... Read More...
- Netop 2013 Predictions: Link Globally, Secure Locally - The year 2012 saw many companies and organizations increasing
implementation of cloud and virtualization options. In 2013, that trend
will accelerate as more and more IT professionals seek the benefits of
public and private clouds and virtualized environments. As this usage
(and the attendant data ... Read More...
- Virtual Bridges Predictions: 2013 - The Changing Face of VDI - We've all heard the stats. The number of tablets sold continues to
skyrocket, and while these devices started out providing casual fun and
convenience, they have evolved into valuable productivity tools shifting
the way enterprises do business. If desktop management wasn't already
complicated, BYOD ... Read More...
- Pivot3 Predictions: Solving the 2013 IT Fiscal Cliff with VDI - The VDI market continues to both confound and delight the industry.
Analysts and vendors alike continue to look for patterns in how VDI is
being used and whether it will follow the same adoption path of its
technology sibling giant, server virtualization. With a full year of
VDI sales under our be... Read More...
- Acronis Predictions: 2013 - The Year the Cloud Becomes Invisible - The "Information Superhighway" sounds pretty silly to us these days. It
harkens back to when the Web was more of a promise than a reality.
Lately, we hardly even hear people talking about the Internet. That's
because the Internet is part of our everyday life and is basically
invisible to its users. ... Read More...
- Cloudyn: unClouded Predictions for 2013 - Danish physicist, Niels Bohr reportedly quipped that "prediction is very
difficult, especially about the future." With that being said, I'd like
to share some of my personal thoughts on five important cloud computing
trends and developments we can expect to see in 2013 and beyond.... Read More...
- ServiceMesh 2013 Predictions: The Application-Centric Enterprise - Companies are under increasing pressure to lower operating costs while
accelerating productivity. One key measure of productivity is
speed-to-market. Another is the cost of managing operations. In a time
where growth is stagnant and margins compressing, a failure to
transition to a more effective mo... Read More...
- Centrify: Prediction 2013 - The Year of Mobile Virtualization - Virtualization from a server perspective has been a disruptive force in
the IT world, resulting in VMware being the fourth largest software
company in terms of market cap and analysts estimating that well over
50% of servers are now virtualized. Desktop virtualization? Well ...
definitely not as s... Read More...
- Puppet Labs: Cloud Predictions for 2013 - One admin to rule them all: We will see technology and teams move more
to a world where administration no longer lives in systems, storage,
network, and database silos, and instead to a world where a single admin
uses cross-platform, cross-silo tools to manage the entire
infrastructure with one tool... Read More...
- Sanbolic: 2013 - The Year of Software-Defined Data Management - Data center architecture has been evolving rapidly as enterprise compute
resources have moved from physical machines to virtualized on-premise
machines to hybrid environments which incorporate cloud-based resources.
VMware pioneered server virtualization in the enterprise and now
describes a vision ... Read More...
- Sonian: Predicting Cloud Movements for 2013 - The modern cloud era began in 2007 with Amazon Web Services and the
introduction of compute, storage and networking in the form of
Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS). Fast-forward five years later to
present day and you'll see that just around the corner is the next cloud
innovation wave. The year 2... Read More...