Veeam Software, innovative provider of backup, replication and virtualization management solutions for VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V, today announced Veeam Explorer for Microsoft SharePoint, a new capability that anyone may try out in an upcoming free public beta. Registration to participate in the public beta is now open.
In the past, IT had to procure expensive add-on tools for granular recovery of items from Microsoft SharePoint backups. Veeam is disrupting this market. Veeam Explorer for Microsoft SharePoint will be included at no additional charge in both the next release of Veeam Backup Free Edition and in Veeam Backup & Replication v7, which will become generally available in the second half of this year.
Microsoft SharePoint has become ubiquitous throughout business IT, from small businesses to global enterprises. When an employee needs a file that’s been corrupted or deleted, the help desk seldom has a quick solution because recovering the file often requires restoring the entire SharePoint database. Retrieving an individual item can take hours or even days.
When it comes to e-discovery, Veeam Explorer for Microsoft SharePoint enables users to zero in on exactly the information required to quickly locate and restore individual SharePoint items.
Veeam Explorer for Microsoft SharePoint gives IT an intuitive interface to look inside SharePoint backups, all without the use of agents. Capabilities include:
- Browsing SharePoint databases within compressed, deduplicated image-level backups of SharePoint virtual machines (VMs) without having to restore the entire database;
- Searching for specific SharePoint items with rich search capability for e-discovery purposes;
- Recovering and exporting items directly to the original SharePoint server, or sending items as email attachments to specific users; and
- Support for SharePoint running on both Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware vSphere.
Veeam Explorer for Microsoft SharePoint is the latest in a series of innovations from Veeam that enable IT to browse, search and recover individual items. Previously released features include:
- U-AIR (Universal Application Item Recovery): General purpose application item-level recovery. Introduced in Veeam Backup & Replication v5 in October 2010.
- Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange: Quickly find and restore individual Exchange items directly from the backup file without the need for a full restore. Introduced in Veeam Backup & Replication v6.5 in October 2012.
- Veeam Explorer for SAN Snapshots: Quickly restore any or all of a VM directly from a SAN snapshot. Introduced in Veeam Backup & Replication v6.5 in October 2012.
Robert Amatruda, Research Director, Data-Protection and Recovery, IDC
“Companies of all sizes have come to depend on Microsoft SharePoint to power employee collaboration on critical files and other business content. If the help desk cannot find and recover individual SharePoint items quickly from backup files, it hurts productivity. Veeam Explorer for Microsoft SharePoint offers an elegant solution to the problem.”
Ratmir Timashev, President and CEO, Veeam Software
“With Veeam Explorer for Microsoft SharePoint, finding and restoring individual SharePoint items takes just a couple of minutes. It’s yet another example of Veeam disrupting the market. Just as we did with Veeam Explorer for Exchange, Veeam will include these new capabilities in Veeam Backup Free and Veeam Backup & Replication at no additional charge, enabling IT to replace expensive SharePoint discovery tools that charge per user.”
Availability & Pricing:
Veeam Explorer for Microsoft SharePoint will be available soon in public beta. To register, please visit http://go.veeam.com/microsoft-sharepoint-recovery-explorer.html. This capability will be included in the new version of Veeam Backup Free Edition and in Veeam Backup & Replication v7 when they become generally available in the second half of this year.