Technology, the SD-WAN company, today introduced the Riverbed Service
Delivery Platform, designed to enable service providers to deliver
Network-as-a-Service, with the speed and flexibility expected by today's
digital enterprises. Current Network Function Virtualization (NFV)
deployments have given service providers a limited ability to provision
new services quickly and consolidate branch footprint, but have failed
to deliver on the true agility that service providers require in order
to improve customer satisfaction and grow their business. In many cases,
NFV has perpetuated and magnified the existing challenges with physical
appliances by introducing additional operational complexity.
Riverbed Service Delivery Platform is designed to let service providers
transform their existing NFV investments into a cloud-like
Network-as-a-Service model by abstracting the complexity associated with
NFV and focusing on services instead. With the Service Delivery
Platform, service providers will be able to rapidly introduce new
services, ensure those services are delivered as intended, give their
customers the ability to scale services up and down on demand, and
expand into new areas such as IoT and Edge Compute.
Some of the key benefits of the platform include:
- Seamless extension and integration of quality based MPLS services across all and any connectivity models to service provider customers with consistent policy, security and service visibility and assurance
- DevOps approach to rapid service design, on-boarding and deployment dramatically shortening time-to-market for new services
- Rapid elasticity and resource pooling enabling
service providers to effectively support multi-tenancy while delivering
a massively scalable and available services-based infrastructure to
- Continuous service delivery optimization via closed-loop orchestration, ensuring that service levels are met while infrastructure is being utilized most effectively
- Improved customer intelligence and service assurance, enabling service providers to take on a more consultative role with their customers
- Maximized value from existing investment as
the platform integrates seamlessly into a mixed hardware-virtualized
environment to pave the way from traditional networking investments to
100% NFV/SDN environment
- Open and Standard-based, the platform allows for plug-and-play extensibility at each layer of the architecture, eliminating vendor lock-in
providers are going through a massive transformation and are changing
how they acquire, manage and deploy technologies so they can meet the
needs of today's digital customer," said Phil Harris, GM, Service
Provider Segment Vertical at Riverbed. "Riverbed's Service Delivery
Platform allows service providers to re-invent their business and evolve
their infrastructure. Now, service providers have the flexibility to
roll out differentiated services and deliver them to end customers
quickly and efficiently."
seeing a significant shift in the strategies and actions of service
providers, as they look to be more agile in rolling out new enterprise
WAN and branch services faster, including emerging solutions such as
SD-WAN." said Rohit Mehra, Research Vice President, Network
Infrastructure, IDC. "Riverbed has been a long time partner with many
leading service providers, and their advancements with this new Service
Delivery Platform and technologies such as SteelConnect and
SteelCentral, puts them in a strategic position with service providers
as they look to evolve their offerings and roll out solutions to capture
new revenue opportunities."
has a long history of collaborating with the world's largest service
providers - including previously announced service offerings with BT, Orange, Verizon and AT&T.
Today's announcement furthers the opportunity for service providers to
build out their service offering, with an even broader range of
networking and cloud services and is a major investment and advancement
for Riverbed's service provider program.
The Service Delivery Platform is planned for release in the second half of 2017.